Our list of performance is available both on this website and in STAMP. The majority of our performances take place at UMBC Men’s and Women’s home basketball games. Throughout the season, the band will play at other events, including soccer, hockey, lacrosse, volleyball, pep rally, parades, and community events. Our rehearsal schedule is typically posted in August, while our performance schedule is posted in October. To get an idea at the number of events we play in a typical year, simply view the calendar on this website and scroll back to last season.
Each year, the band and drumline will accompany the Men and Women’s basketball teams to the America East Conference. This year, there are major changes to the tournament format.
This information pertains to the 2014-2015 season.
The Men’s tournament takes place on three separate days.
- Game 1 is held on Wednesday, March 4. In the event that UMBC is the higher seed, we will host the game at UMBC. In the event that UMBC is the lower seed, we may or may not travel to the opposing school. Details TBD.
- Game 2 is held on Saturday, March 8. The band will likely travel for this game if UMBC Men win Game 1. In the event that UMBC is the higher seed, we will host the game at UMBC. If UMBC is the lower seed, we will likely travel to the other school.
- Game 3 is held on Saturday, March 14. The band will likely travel for this game if UMBC Men win Game 2. In the event that UMBC is the higher seed, we will host the game at UMBC. If UMBC is the lower seed, we will likely travel to the other school.
The Women’s tournament takes place over two weekends
- Game 1 and 2 are held on Saturday, March 7 – Sunday, March 8. We will travel to Binghamton, NY on Saturday for sure.
- If the Women win Game 1 and the Men Lose Game 1, we will play Game 2 on the 8th.
- If the Women lose Game 1 and the Men Win Game 1, we will likely hop on the bus and will travel to play for the Men’s Game 2.
- If the Women win Game 1 and the Men Win Game 1, we may split up the band into 2, or have the Band do one game and the Drumline do another, or, pick one team to support.
- My head hurts…
The best course of action for members, are to block the following dates off their calendars. We’ll share information as it happens… just try to be flexible, because the final schedule will be very last minute notice.
- March 4 – 5, 2015
- March 7 – 8, 2015
- March 13 – 14, 2015
When we do Travel, UMBC Athletics pays for hotel rooms, travel expenses, and pays members a per diem of $20 a day for food and beverage. Members will stay 4 to a room. In the event that one or both of the teams wins the conference and/or makes it to the NCAA, the band will continue to travel in the same manner.
When traveling to these tournaments, there are strict conference rules that must be followed. As of the 2014-2015 season, the America East conference no longer prohibits amplified equipment, however, NCAA rules may not allow amplified instruments in the event we make it to the big dance. Additionally, there is sometimes a band limit of 29 musicians and 1 director. In the event that these limits are imposed, several factors will be taken into consideration with regard to who will be attending the tournament. Based on current funding and the size of the band, not everyone will be able to go to the tournament this year. Instrumentation needs, audition status, and attendance will determine the remaining students selected.
Tournament sign up will take place in February. Members are encouraged to visit AmericaEast.com and put the tournament dates on your calendar. Request off from work now and be sure to inform professors of the conflict. The director will provide a note (to give to your professor) to any band member who requests it.