Auditions for Student Directors and Drum Captains take place in April. Current Student Leadership will be offered a 1 year extension of their position if they meet the eligibility requirements as determined by the Director. In the event that positions are available, the requirements are below.
- Submit a 1 page statement answering the following question: “Why do you want to be a student director/drum captain?” In the paper, please include examples of new ideas you may have, examples of any previous music and leadership experiences, etc.
- Download the song “Star Spangled Banner” from STAMP. Listen to it and practice conducting with the music; I would suggest conducting in front of a mirror. Part of the interview/audition process will be to conduct this piece (with the recording playing) to me. I will also play a recording of a random pep band song and ask you to start and stop the song. This requirement does not apply to Drum Captains.
- Interview – During your audition, you will be asked some questions. Think of this as a job interview. Think about things you would do to make the band better. Why do you want to be a student leader?
- Band Member Feedback – Band members will be sent an anonymous survey about all candidates. This feedback will help the director get a sense of how the band would interact with that student. This is not a popularity contest, however, it is important that the overall population of the band will embrace a new student director or drum captain.
- Be a UMBC Student.
- Be able to help with music library and storage space organization a few days over the summer.
- Be able to make all rehearsals (Wednesday night 8:00-10:00PM and Sunday night 7-9PM during the fall). A rehearsal may be missed under extenuating circumstances.
- Be able to make 90% of pep band performances. A performance may be missed under extenuating circumstances. Additionally, winter game performances may be excused for individuals who live out of state and do not have winter housing.
- Be a student for both Fall and Spring semesters of the season.
- Have at least a 2.25 cumulative GPA or better.
- Have completed at least 24 credits at UMBC and not be on academic or disciplinary probation.
- Been a member of the Band or Drumline for at least 1 season.
- Existing leadership and conducting experience is encouraged, but not required.